- 27 Landslides May Be Inevitable, But They’re Not Yet Predictable
- 19 Earthquake Early warning worked in California but...
Three years after the Tohoku Earthquake is Seattle ready?
Q 13 News visits the PNSN to talk about our next big earthquake.
Sundays M6.8 quake, "A bullet dodged".
Despite the headline, Sunday nights earthquake off Ferndale California did NOT reduce the risk of future big earthquakes.
Large M 6.8 earthquake strikes off N. California Coast
The strongest earthquake to shake California since the Loma Prieta quake almost 25 years ago occurred late Sunday night 50 miles west of Eureka
- 27 What have we learned from the Japan earthquake
Lessons for Alaska from New Zealand
Alaska State seismologist Mike West suggests Alaska can learn from the Christchurch experience. He would also like an earthquake Early Warning System before the next "Big One".
It doesn't take a large quake to destroy a bad building.
How a 5.5 magnitude earthquake in La Puente could wreck 20 downtown buildings in this Southern California town, or in Seattle.
Who Will Pay for an Earthquake Warning System on the West Coast?
Earthquake Early Warning has arrived. Who will pay for an operational system?
- 9 Virtual Earthquakes help study real ones
- 6 Not earthquakes, but rather "frost-quakes"
PNSN News Column Gets Newsier
We will update the news more frequently.
- 4 Why Texans Are Hearing a ‘Loud Boom’ During Earthquakes
Earthquake Early Warning Developments
KIRO Special Report on EEW developments for our region.
Quake risks look more severe on Hanford site
A new report by an anti-nuclear organization says earthquake risks were seriously underestimated when the state’s only commercial nuclear-power plant was built almost 30 years ago on the Hanford nuclear reservation.
- 8 Earthquake Early Warning Developments
- 28 PNSN tweets the latest earthquake
- 18 iMUSH back in the News
Bill would pool Caltech, Berkeley earthquake research for early warning system
Earthquake Early Warning in Southern California gains legislative interest.
- 3 Science ship cruising off Astoria this month
- 26 NOVA Presents: Japans Killer Quake
Lessons for Seattle from New Zealand Earthquake
Christchurch earthquake experience yields lessons about threats from faults underneath cities. From the Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020343625_earthquakelessonsxml.html
- 8 Wild idea for seismic invisibility cloak
Black Sea earthquakes panic Georgians
An ongoing swarm of earthquakes (largest so far M~5.7) in the Black Sea off of the Georgian coast, and non-scientific claims of bigger earthquakes to come, have led to "panic" in the population. http://dfwatch.net/earthquake-hits-georgia-again-16295
Sorting out Mt. Rainier's small quakes
Kate Allstadt has been studying small, repeating earthquakes generated by Mt Rainier's glaciers. Her work will help differentiate glacial quakes from the VTs (volcano tectonic) quakes that precede eruptions.
- 8 Earthquake early warning in Japan
- 26 Black Sea earthquakes panic Georgians
Haida Gwaii Earthquake Studies Follow Powerful Canadian Earthquake
Our colleagues at PGC in British Columbia are reaping a harvest of new observations following the M7.7 Haida Gwaii earthquake last month. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/11/21/bc-haida-gwaii-earthquake-scientists.html
- 15 California stops fault sounding offshore of nuclear reactor
- 12 Guatemala's ongoing earthquake sequence
- 8 M6.3 quake off Vancouver Island last night
- 6 How often do natural disasters coincide?
- 26 Haida Gwaii Earthquake Studies Follow Powerful Canadian Earthquake
- 31 Danger! Earthquake Causes Tidal Wave of Tweets!
- 29 First tiny earthquake triggered at Altarock geothermal site
- 28 M7.7 earthquake 400 km north of Vancouver Island
- 27 Details of why Italian seismologists are innocent
- 22 Italian scientists convicted over earthquake warning
- 6 Current ETS event discussed
- 28 First automatic use of networked Earthquake Early Warning in US
- 23 Tremor is going full speed under the Puget Sound
Mt. Rainier Monitoring Updated
USGS Cascade Volcano Observatory and PNSN give monitoring stations on Mt. Rainier a seasonal tune-up.
- 8 More informative shakemaps
- 7 19 years later another earthquake near Scotts Mills, OR
A Lift to Face of Mount Rainier
PNSN and USGS staff exert big push to maintain and upgrade seismic and geodetic stations on Mt. Rainer.
- 31 Twitter Alerts U.S. Geological Survey to Philippines Quake
- 31 Philippine M7.6 this morning
- 27 Earth Magazine publishes PNW "seismo citizens" stories.
- 26 Earthquake swarm in southernmost California
- 21 Big 4 year study of St Helens magma system
- 12 Iranian quake toll rises past 300.
- 11 Bad earthquake sequence in Iran
- 10 Most shaken Japanese nuclear reactor was fine
- 8 LA M4.4 - no damage
- 25 LA shaken by minor M3.7 quake
- 23 Japanese perspective on earthquake prediction and forecasting
- 20 California water supply endangered by earthquakes
- 19 Sound Transit quiets tunnel construction
- 16 Strong shaking, land level changes and a Puget Sound Tsunami ~925 AD
- 11 Ancient quake and tsunami in Puget Sound shake researchers
- 10 Tweeting through natural disasters
- 9 Keilis-Borok and earthquake prediction
- 3 USGS earthquake early warning effort
- 1 M6.6 quake rocks NW China
- 28 New Zealand building collapse should have been less deadly
- 24 Reno, Nevada gets a light shake
- 22 Scientists scour Spokane for earthquake faults
- 20 Crowd-sourcing seismic networks
- 14 1980 events leading to Mount St Helens eruption
- 13 Slide in Afghan quake buries 70 people
- 12 Close-up study of Mount St. Helens in the works
- 10 Evergreen drill posits 5 major quakes at once
- 6 Seismic techniques locate gunshots
- 3 An attempt to alert Pakistan to earthquake problems
- 31 Oregon tsunami drill in Coos Bay yesterday
- 29 Another Italian quake, near one 10 days ago
- 25 Facebook and the Bulgarian earthquake
- 24 Quake-protecting museum exhibits
- 22 Italian quake cuts cheese
- 19 Hollywood raises money to continue quake recovery in Haiti
- 15 Yet another rattle in New Zealand
- 14 Massive and rapid changes in a submarine volcano
- 12 Detailed rupture simulation from Caltech
- 10 Quake-resilient balloon cell phone towers
- 10 Details on hydrothermal micro-quaking under Newberry Volcano
- 9 Christchurch still trying to lure back Australian tourists after quake
- 8 2010 Chile M9 quake helps nature recover from man
- 6 SuperMoon again fails to doom Earth!
- 2 Seattle earthquake pictures
- 1 Another plea for seafloor warnings for big quakes and tsunamis
- 28 Japan fault gets drilled
- 25 GPS nearing readiness in earthquake monitoring
- 24 Seattle Sea Wall earthquake fix gets cheaper
- 23 Bellingham faults and paleoquakes seen more clearly
- 22 Turmoil in Italian seismic monitoring community
- 20 Last week's Sumatra quake ratchets up the regional stress
- 19 New Seattle liquefaction array now running
- 18 Early warning system survives a California test
- 17 Hanford earthquake risk up for re-evaluation
- 15 Seattle seawall replacement proposals moving forward
- 13 Wednesday's M8.6 in Sumatra a 1 in 2000 year earthquake
- 11 Two very large earthquakes off Indonesia coast
- 10 M3.2 earthquake last night between Walla Walla and Richland
- 8 Small swarm Sunday morning 20 km south of Mount Hood
- 7 Japan quake "ghost ship" sunk by US Coast Guard
- 3 Remarkable increase in mid-continent seismicity
- 1 Japan increases danger of quakes and tsunamis
- 30 National Mall in DC sank 1mm due to Virginia quake
- 29 2011 quakes cost Lloyd's of London $800M
- 28 $370B in economic losses for global economy from natural disasters in 2011 sets record
- 26 Only 1 of 54 nuclear reactors left running in Japan
- 25 Deep M4.9 Hawaii quake
- 24 M6.1 biggest Australian quake in 15 years
- 23 Wisconsin clanking in the night
- 22 2011 Virginia earthquake near-miss
- 19 Helicorder record of Satsop M3.3 yesterday
- 15 Films about the Japanese earthquakes
- 15 Watching for tsunamis from shore
- 14 PNSN struck dead for three hours by power outage
- 12 Are hazard maps junk?
- 11 What is our tsunami risk?
- 9 Alaskan volcanoes rumbling
- 7 Call for better earthquake monitoring
- 5 Berkeley blog on early morning M4 in El Cerrito
- 5 White House threatens tsunami warning funding cuts
- 4 Spray on concrete for earthquake reinforcement
- 3 The indirect degradation of public health by the Tohoku earthquake
- 2 Cellar airbags to shake-proof houses?
- 1 Predictable "earthquakes"
- 29 Dire plans during Japanese quake crisis revealed
- 28 Earthquake helps Yen drop 6% in a month
- 26 M6.7 Siberian earthquake - example of Pager info
- 25 New compilation of landslides in Oregon
- 23 Landslide and avalanche danger
- 22 Japan trade deficit balloons
- 21 Some reminders about our M9 quake
- 20 Cascadian M9 scenario may be worse than thought
- 19 Paying costs of Japan quake
- 18 Good mountain, Bad Mountain
- 16 M6 off Oregon interpreted
- 16 UW Preparing for Disaster
- 14 Seismograms from yesterday's California M5.6 earthquake
- 13 M5.6 near Eureka
- 13 Washington-British Columbia earthquake exercise
- 11 Pinpoint images of ground displacement now possible
- 10 41th anniversary of nearly-disastrous quake in LA
- 9 Collapsed building in Christchurch, NZ, woefully inadequate
- 8 Philippine earthquake Monday
- 7 NRC and the Japan tsunami reactor crisis
- 6 Difficulties quake-proofing Japan
- 5 M5.7 quake off Vancouver Island
- 4 PNSN Facebook Group in action
- 4 Willapa Bay tsunami gates get unlocked
- 3 Parts of Christchurch will not be rebuilt
- 2 Alaska's Cleveland Volcano threatening to erupt
- 1 First line of tsunami defense - mangroves
- 31 M6.2 hurts 100 people in Peru
- 30 Etymology Man
- 29 New Zealand recovery slow
- 28 BART is "earthquake-proofed"
- 27 Haiti enters dangerous era for quakes?
- 26 Japanese move inland and out of condos
- 25 New Delhi, India far from quake proof
- 23 Odds raised for big quake near Tokyo
- 22 Haiti quake aftermath fosters church
- 19 Nonsense news - Earth Earth's core slipping away!
- 18 Pros and cons of Ohio wastewater injection
- 17 Chilean volcano closes Argentine airport again
- 16 Flat earthquake faults in the Himalayas
- 15 Geothermal energy experiment at Newberry Volcano
- 14 Ocean sediments offer clues to Haitian quake history
- 13 Fighter plane sonic booms masquerade as earthquakes
- 12 Tsunami debris field from Japan
- 11 M7.3 near Sumatra
- 10 Fracking: Forgetting science for politics
- 9 Not all eastern quakes are caused by fracking
- 8 Awakening super-volcano under Germany?
- 7 2011 record year for disasters
- 5 Tunneling earthquakes move up to Volunteer Park
Ohio quakes linked to wastewater well
Recent unusual earthquakes in Ohio suspected of being human induced.
- 3 Seattle teacher workshop on earthquakes
- 2 More last week for quake-weary Christchurch
Megaquake Heightened the Risk to Tokyo
Stress redistribution after the March earthquake threatens Tokyo.
- 30 M4.2 near Aswan Dam
- 29 Siberian M6.6 earthquake
- 28 California reactors get seismic safety surveys
- 25 Ohio struck by mild series of waste-injection quakes
- 23 Washington Monument damage in August M5.8 worse than thought
- 22 Another couple of bad quakes in New Zealand
- 21 Jackson Hole worst-case earthquake scenario
- 20 More details on Sound Transit tunneling noise
- 20 Best guess for PNW risk of big coastal earthquake
- 19 For financial nerds, earthquake reinsurance catastrophe bonds
- 18 Seismic tracking of singing whales
- 17 1811 New Madrid Earthquakes
- 16 Foo Fighters shake New Zealand
- 14 How often does fracking cause quakes?
New Event Search Feature
The PNSN earthquake search catalog is now live.
- 12 M6.5 Earthquake in Mexico
- 10 Does big rainy season cause big earthquakes?
- 6 'Tis the season to skeptical
- 5 Los Alamos nuclear lab sits atop dangerous faults
- 4 Even England has an earthquake every now and then
- 3 Tough issues in rebuilding Christchurch
- 2 Nov. 22nd Oklahoma M5.6 is not a disaster
- 1 Frogs predict earthquakes!
- 31 Megaquake Heightened the Risk to Tokyo